Best benzo for insomnia

FORUM INDEX Anxiety Meds & treatment Best benzo for insomnia

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by joey joey 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KHer0
    KHer0
    Participant

Hi all. My cousin ‘Bart’ for the past year he has had severe trouble sleeping. For about 4 years now he’s has been taking bromazepam for hes anxieties and as well for sleeping. But as we all know with benzodiazepines once you take them for a long period of time (3 year+)the effects start to slowly diminish. And that is exactly what has happened in hes case for quite some time now. Could someone give me some suggestions on what drug(s) (preferably another benzodiazepine) would be useful for him. Like which one is most used for insomnia ? I would greatly appreciate your help!

HerbAr
    HerbAr
    Participant

Hi

Switching benzo brand does not generally have any noticeable effect, but changing to a different type of benzodiazepine should do the trick. Benzos are likely the best class of drug for consistent sleeping disorders and anxiety. Were Lexotanil prescribed for anxiety, sleeping or both? And what has Bart’s DR said about the developing tolerance issues, to that particular medication?

KHer0
    KHer0
    Participant

Thanks Herbar, but to avoid tolerance issues Wouldn’t Bart do better with a drug such as ambien?

HerbAr
    HerbAr
    Participant

Way, way better than a benzodiazepine long-term, but personally I prefer either diazepam ( valium) ,xanax or flunitrazepam.

binaryking
    binaryking
    Participant

Too bad rohypnol isn’t available legally in the states. Asking a doctor would probably be a good idea for Bart.

jackB
    jackB
    Participant

Here we got a perfect example why a single benzo should not be prescribed for long periods of time ,regardless of whether it’s for anxiety of insomnia. You have to switch it up if your going to last. Lots of doctors do this and it usually works well. I believe Bart should discuss one of the Z drugs like Ambien with his doctor, or learn non-drug modalities to deal with his insomnia in the best way.

joey
    joey
    Participant

My advice to your cousin would be to discuss the issue with a doc but if you want my advice, I say go with valium or 15mg Dormicum.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.